<VV> Yenko Stinger wannabes and Star Wars

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr@mindspring.com
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:54:46 -0800

Soooo, I would ascertain form your statement that the REAL "Darth Vair"
is becoming more valuable every day and imitators like Black Fang and
others have no intrinsic value !!! <GGG>

da Chuckster
/////////////////////////////////////////////////
At 09:41 PM 2/26/04 -0500, you wrote:
>Hate to jump in on this... but it's pretty accepted that owning the number
>is owning a REAL Stinger.
>
>This is not a Corvair-specific thing... in Shelby Mustangs, the Shelby
>tags (and not the rest of the car) is
>what makes it "real".  I know of a specific example where a high dollar
>Shelby was wrecked, the Shelby
>tags removed and placed on another Mustang... and the original car
>eventually rebuilt... as a Shelby but
>missing the Shelby tags. Both owners claimed the same numbers.
>
>This situation was brought before the Shelby Club... who in the end
>decided that the person with the Shelby
>tags (but not the real car) had the "real" Shelby... making his "clone"
>valuable and the original Shelby car
>worthless (except as a Mustang). But still not as valuable as an all
>original numbers-matching Shelby.
>
>What I've seen with the Stinger market is similar. The Stinger number (and
>the place on the registry) has a
>certain intrinsic value (growing higher daily), the Stinger equipment (CR
>trans, etc) have an intrinsic value
>(pretty steady value), and the Corvair itself has a certain intrinsic
>value (growing higher, but slowly). The car
>is not "just a clone" if you have the Stinger number... but it would be
>"just a clone" if you had the real car
>without the number. That's not just my opinion... that's pretty much the
>fact of the market.
>
>The value of originality (original body, right vin on tag and body,
>matching the right Stinger number... our
>version of "numbers matching") has historically had a small effect on the
>the value of the car... but in my
>opinion this value is climbing steadily and will soon be the dominant
>value of the few select cars that meet
>it.
>snippero
>
>Bill Elliott