<VV> bad car smell-not a Corvair

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:03:38 -0800

>From: "Mark" <blaskovich@jps.net>
>To: <virtualvairs@skiblack.com>
>Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:42:16 -0800
>Subject: <VV> bad car smell-not a Corvair
>
>Hi, I am putting car back on the road that has been sitting since 1982.  It
>has been stored always covered, mostly inside.  Mechanicals are complete,
as
>are new seat covers and carpet.  However, the car still has a rodent smell
in
>it and if it sits in the sun with the windows up, the smell can get so bad
you
>can't even sit in the car.

Hi Mark,

What I would do would be to go to a Janitorial Supply store and pick
yourself up some "Odor Eatting Enzyme".  It is about $15.00-$20.00 a gallon.
They'll know exactly what you need.  Works great for those odors that get
"worse" over time like cat, mice, rat, dog pee.  What it does is it eats up
the waste so the bacteria that is causing the odor has nothing to feed on.
It basically converts it to H2O.  I say go to a Janitorial Supply store
because it is much cheaper there then at a pet supply store or over the
internet.  We bought a house about 4 years ago whose previous owners had
over 12 cats.  They basically used the entire floor for a litter box.  We
ended up pulling all the carpeting out along with the padding because there
was literally not one square inch of carpet that had not been saturated.  We
threw the carpet away but the subfloor was soaked with cat pee.  We bought
15 gallons of the stuff and applied it with a garden sprayer.  We left the
house for several days and when we came back the smell was completely gone.
4 Years later and it hasn't come back.  We live in a wet part of the country
so if it was coming back, it would have been here already.  Your car
probably isn't as bad as what we had to deal with but you should probably
remove the seats and carpets so you can get to all the surfaces.  This stuff
is pretty benign.  I've used it on sofas, laundry etc.  It hasn't stained
anything yet.  You just need to make sure that you get the item wet enough
and not let it dry out too fast after application.   Hope this helps.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd 3.89
1963 Spyder Restored (no engine yet)