<VV> (no subject)

djtcz@comcast.net djtcz@comcast.net
Thu, 01 Jul 2004 11:50:58 +0000

> From: "Scott Ham"
> Subject: Engine removal
> I just pulled my engine and drive train out last night. I built a cradle to  set
> the engine on and lifted the car off with two floor jacks. The engine came out
> pretty easy but I don't know how I'm going to be able to line up the tranny cross member when I put everything back in. The car sits so low when the engine
> is resting on the cradle there's no way to look under it to line things up. Any  suggestions?

I'd reverse the procedure.  It's been QUITE a while,  but I'm pretty sure I recall putting the car on (2) stands, toward the rear.  The engine balanced pretty well (on the oil pan?) on the floor jack's cradle,  using a square of thick plywood to spread the load out.  I might have used a ratchet tie-down or something similar as insurance to keep the engine on the jack, but I'm thinking a better solution would have been to secure the plywood to the jack.  With the tail high the level engine automatically engaged the trans/front crossmemember first.