<VV> LM Front Suspension Assembly / 76 GM Assmb. manual

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr@mindspring.com
Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:05:26 -0400

Barry, You are not alone in your quest to solve the mystery but I am
as puzzled as you. I have even checked the 1976 GM Chassis and
Parts Catalog. Nowhere does GM reference or show the upper
a-arm cross shaft with a specific reference to it or it's number.
Maybe the obvious answer is there is no difference as Clarks
lists it's replacement as suitable for either side. What is equally
puzzling is I think that this shaft installs with the numbers facing
inward so they couldn't be referenced to differentiate between complete
a-arm units that might be on the wrong side of the front suspension
assembly. Just install "A" on the drivers side and "B" on the passenger
side.

Chuck Armer
////////////////////////

  At 10:58 PM 6/30/04 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Folks
>
>I'm restoring a 66 Corsa and removed all the suspension to replace the
>bushings and steering components. It looked pretty grundgy when I took it out.
>http://www.auto-addiction.com/images/Front-Sub-Suspension.jpg
>But it turned out to be mainly Texas red clay
>http://www.auto-addiction.com/images/Subframe-Suspension.jpg
>I've now had it powder coated and ready for re-assembly
>http://www.auto-addiction.com/images/P-Coated.jpg
>My problem is with the front cross shafts, once I got them out and cleaned
>I could see that they have different part #'s
>http://www.auto-addiction.com/images/Cross-Shaft.jpg
>I've checked the factory assembly manual, chassis shop manual, Corvair
>Basics, Richard Finch's book and the Corsa Tech Manual, none reference
>which part # should go on which side. Is it intuitive once I try to
>assemble them with the bushings? Any help would be appreciated
>
>Thanks
>
>Barry
>http://www.auto-addiction.com/

Corvair Atlanta, BOD