<VV> Batteries (not Corvair)

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Sat, 3 Jul 2004 14:26:31 EDT

In a message dated 7/3/2004 4:20:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
LonzoVair@aol.com writes:
In a message dated 7/3/2004 6:35:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
emills5@cfl.rr.com writes:
I have had a rash of defective
ones in late model GM autos (and also other people I have talked with).  The
side posts come out and dump acid all over.

Cecil,
When I was still at the dealership we would have a stack of defects, maybe
upwards of 20, go back every month or so.  My guess is 90% would have the
terminal pulled out or cracked. The service manager once told me that the
batteries
were not held down properly OR were over-tightened....

My 1996 Camaro (built in August 95) came with a side terminal Delco Battery.
It lasted over 7 years. When it became weak "click-click-click" I parked it
(like I had a choice), bought a new 7-year Delco from the Chevy dealer, and
installed it. I had a problem with the positive side terminal corroding a bit, I
had cleaned it off enough that the copper spade lug on the wire was pretty
thin. About 12 months after installing the new battery, I cleaned off the terminal
again, tightened the bolt, and broke off the terminal from the battery - No
leakage - it didn't go through. I determined that the bolt, due to the thinner
spade lug, had probably bottomed in the battery hole. My gorilla twist just
ripped it out. The dealer replaced it under warrantee (one month past free
replacement - oh well!) and I carefully used a washer under the bolt head to clamp
the new one tight, but not bottomed. I have a new positive cable waiting for a
chance to install. - Seth