<VV> Ignition upgrades

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:32:48 -0700

1) 8mm spark plug wires
2) Pertronix II electronic ignition
3) Pertronix II Flame thrower Coil
4) Silverstone spark plugs
5) MSD 6a capacitive discharge ignition module

1,2,3 are the minimum I would do an this yields significant improvement as
well as avoiding the need to adjust points.  However, I have had one fail
over the years (I have 2 now both set up the same with all 5 above).  I
keep the original points plate with points properly gapped in the trunk.  I
also wire the MSD and Pertronix such that I can swith to points or bypass
the MSD w/out problems (never had an MSD go bad).  I do this by using
screwed junctions rather than blade connectors.  Feel free to call if you
want more detail.

The Silverstone plugs are neat but I cannot prove much except they do
resist fouling well.  They are "old fashioned" in one way --> they look
dimensionally exactly like a 44f and even have copper gaskets.  However,
they are constructed of silver which in theory conducts electricity better
than platinum.

So with 1-4 you have a car much easier to keep in tune and which can
compensate a bit for worn distributor and other not so new parts.  It does
not change the way it drives all that much (maybe a bit smoother).

The MSD is expensive and a pain to hide and some trouble added to the
wiring (about 150 bucks).  If you really want to do both then I would
suggest doing all at one time.  This unit gives tremendous benefit!  It
sparks 3 times per piston stroke at low rpm and tapers of at high rpm.  It
also gives a stronger spark.  What this means is that much changes in the
way the car drives:  it starts MUCH easier, especially when cold.  It idles
more smoothly and runs without sputtering, again mostly when cold.  It revs
at the very top a bit smoother, even hot.  It allows me to run a bit richer
which in theory is cooler and has more power.

Again, if you call or keep emailing I can provide more info including a
great way to hide the MSD and wiring and so forth.

Good luck!

At 06:09 PM 7/2/2004, David Baker wrote:
>Eric,
>
>Recently on Virtual Vairs you posted this regarding your '62
>Spyder:   "Oh, when I say stock, it is except for significant
>ignition improvements which help driveability a lot."
>
>Could you elaborate on what ignition improvements you made? I
>have a '64 Spyder, and would like to know what you did. Thanks.
>
>Dave Baker
>

><http://msgtag.com/?source=ffooter>
>[]
>  has notified the sender that this message has been received.

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)
(720) 339-4765          Cell

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html