<VV> Salvage Vehicles (no Corvair)

Marc Marcoulides Marc Marcoulides <hharpo@earthlink.net>
Sun, 4 Jul 2004 22:20:04 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

As a working professional in the Insurance industry I have much experience with salvage vehicles. My experience is in California and Texas may be differant. There are 2 sources of salvage title to a vehicle, a recovered theft (after settlement with the insured) and a vehicle that has been hit hard enough that the cost of repair is greater than the market value (total loss). Most states will require a series of certifications be completed by repair shops authorized to issue certificates acceptable to the Motor Vehicle registry. Without these certs you can not get valid plates. Frequently there are differant repair companys you must go to and pay for the certs and any repairs they deem necessary before the vehicle can be used. This is usually lights, glass, brakes, alignment and tire tread.

-----Original Message-----
From: "goofyroo@excite.com" <goofyroo@excite.com>
Sent: Jul 4, 2004 7:12 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Salvage Vehicles (no Corvair)

At the end of this week, I plan to buy a salvage vehicle, a theft-recovery Dodge truck, from a junkyard.  It looks pretty good on the web site (no crash damage), but needs a few minor fixes before it's roadworthy.  I'll inspect and test-drive it before we sign the papers.

If you have bought and driven a salvage vehicle, I would be most grateful for any tips you may have.  Experiences with insurance, licensing, etc. would be especially helpful.

Michael Smith
Dallas