<VV> Re: Steering Wander

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 19:02:13 -0400

> From: "Russ Moorhouse" <corvair65@verizon.net>
> Subject: <VV> Steering wander - gas gauge

 Maybe it's me being used to the tight, variable ratio steering of
> the new cars, but when I drive my Corvair, there seems to be a lot ( 3
> 4 inches)of play in the steering wheel when I am driving down the road
at
> 50 mph.
Smitty says: Admittedly Corvairs don't feel like new cars in the steering
but that is the loss of those who buy new cars.  A properly set up Vair
feels light in the front on the road but sloppy steering is not part of
it.  Vair steering is not variable ratio so I don't think you have any 4
inches (or even three or two inches) of slop when you are on the road.
What ever you have sitting still is what you have driving.  Have someone
help you check the pittman arm bushing and side to side movement of the
sector shaft.  If they are good, adjust the steering box.