<VV> drive train removal under Finch

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:44:28 -0400

"Engine cover" doesn't mean anything to me that connects to removing the
power train. I believe you have figured out "rear engine cover" correctly.
Make sure to remove your exhaust-air grille, too.
     No cotter pins on front mounts: the procedure for removing the LM power
train doesn't involve the front mounts. You take four bolts out that attach
the front of the transmission to the crossmember (unlike Early Models).
     Lack of clutch (linkage) return spring (under the car). You really want
to have one of these things so the weight of the pedal isn't bearing on the
throwout bearing. Order one from one of the vendors. Without it, your foot
finds no free play in the clutch pedal (as you should - check yours now, if
it's still assembled enough). If you find free play, you'll find your pedal
sitting on the BOTTOM of the play range, rather than at the TOP of it, where
it should be.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of GB
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 9:13 AM
To: Corvair List
Subject: <VV> drive train removal under Finch

Hello,

I used the Finch book last weekend to prepare to remove my drive train
for cleanup/overhaul of my 65 vert.  Well, it said to remove the rear engine
cover and engine cover.  No such parts exist according to the chevy manual.
I am presuming they meant the engine seal, all the way around.  Now for the
rear cover, perhaps they mean  the cover on the bottom that might cover up
the rear engine mount?  I found no clutch return spring and no cotter
pins in the
front engine mount nuts (wierd!).

Thanks,

Glen