<VV> Ignition upgrades

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 10:17:22 -0700

The Silverstones are "6s"from http://www.PerformanceDepot.com and their
full description is:

MFG: Nology
 >PRODUCT NUMBER: 120001050
 >(Non-Resistor)

I have earlies.  On the driver side rear fender is a brace that holds the
fender to the body.  I fashioned (from bolt stock) two "U" bolts that I
then wrapped around the brace and through the holes in the MSD and bolted
down tight.  The power lead I ran under the flashing for the shrouds over
to the hot lead on the starter.  The ground was attached by removing the
stock ground stud and attaching to the inside of that stud (I shortened the
wire).  The ground has to be attached before bolting up the MSD.  I then
ran the MSD wires under the flashing in the rear of the shrouding and
popped them out just below the coil in a hole that was already there.  The
wires had to be extended a foot or two and I followed MSD instructions and
went up one size in gauge.  They are well wrapped in tape to prevent chaffing.

The only thing I could not hide was all the extra wires.  One note on the
tach --> it is not obvious but it does not hook to the coil, it hooks to
the same lead from the Pertronix that used to go to the coil.  The tach
works perfectly (MSD has lots of warnings re: tachs not working and even
has a tach output terminal --> ignore it all!).

I also left the loop connectors on the Pertronix and made loop connectors
on the MSD wires and screwed them together to make the connection.  This
allows me to re-wire as stock fairly easily (bypassing the MSD) and also
allows me to replace the Pertronix easily with points if I need to.

Another non-obvious thing, the MSD has wires for electronic pickup and for
points ... use the ones for points, electronic pickup is for cars w/out a
distributor.  There is actually (on the last page) a diagram for hooking to
a Pertronix.