<VV> Putting a new (to me) motor in my monza...

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 14:34:09 -0700

At 08:33 hours 07/06/2004 -0500, cash case wrote:
>Hi guys. I bought a 110 motor to replace the one that never made it
>back from the shop...
>I have a question. The last thin g I did with this car was to change it
>over to a manual.

Was this before or after the last engine assumed room temperature?

>I'm guessing that mating up the transaxle and the engine would be best
>done with the transaxle out of the car.

For an early model you're right, especially if the transaxle is already out
of the car.    Swapping an engine in an early is pretty tight if you do
only the engine, and it's pretty much necessary to have a lift or a hoist
to allow you to juggle things around so as to line things up.   I have a
"picker" and I never remove the whole drivetrain to do an engine swap
unless the transaxle needs to come out as well for another unrelated reason
etc.   Once you've done it a few dozen times, removing and reinstalling an
engine with the transaxle in the car isn't so bad... you just need to get
used to the idiosyncrasies of such.   But if the transaxle is already out,
go ahead and mate the engine to it and then install the lot.

>Can this be done without any specific tools other than ratchets and
>good aim?  ;op

Yes.    NO big deal...  just make sure you do have a lot of "good aim" on
hand.

>And, is there anything I should look out for while doing this?

Do not put a load on the input shaft or the differential snout.   Make sure
you replaced the input shaft seal, cheap insurance and it could save your
clutch disk from a greasy death.   If it's got any respectable mileage on
it, check that throwout bearing *Closely* and if any doubt, replace it as
well.   Also the pilot bushing in the crank... stick the pilot snout end of
the input shaft into the pilot bushing and check for wobble or looseness.
You should not be able to rattle the shaft nose around inside the bushing.
 Slip a little grease into the bushing before you mate the engine to the
diff.   Did I mention not putting any undue load on the input shaft or
differential snout?    Get help when you mate the two together, always
worth while to have a couple of extra hands and eyes to watch out for
misalignment or off-axis mating or putting a strain or load on the input
shaft or differential snout.    It helps to shim up the engine or
transaxle, whichever, so as to facilitate their slipping back together
again.    It never seems to go that when both are on the floor that they
line up without one or the other needing to be raised or lowered in order
to go together without putting a strain on that input shaft or diff snout.

And watch out for the diff snout and input shaft,  don't get them in a
bind.

tony..