<VV> Mustang or Corvair (long)

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 15:00:52 -0700

At 06:27 hours 07/06/2004 -0500, Joe Robbins wrote:
>I couldn't sell any car that I had that long, you'd never be able to find
>another one like it for the price. You know everything good and bad about
>the car you have. Brand and make doesn't matter here, they don't make them
>anymore right ?  I'd keep it .

I've had my Corsa ragtop (the one in the middle of refurbishment) for 24
years now.   You get used to having something like that around...  and if
someone else convinces you to sell it for whatever reason when you'd
actually rather not... it *will* come back to nag at your conscience.

>I restored an IL rust bucket and of course
>have twice the $$ in it than I should but I saved one well optioned Monza
>from the crusher. Buying one is much cheaper than restoring one unless
maybe

...unless maybe you do all the work and don't mind doing it.

>you want a driver that can be bondoed to the hilt and a cheap paint job
>thrown on. We replaced 9 metal panels on DaVair and had to create metal
>where there was none and none could be bought.

Been there done that twice and currently  on #3 and I'm sure there's gonna
be others after this last one is done.

>To see the insanity of what
>can happen, check the pics of the car, I added a couple of new ones.
>http://community.webshots.com/user/davair1
> My 2 cents.
>
>Joe Robbins

I already have a lot of photos of my own carnage wreaking, hammering sheet
metal panels out, sunburning my face with the MIG welder, setting my shirt
on fire from the shrapnel, blowing primer-gray boogers out of my nose after
I give up for the evening, keeping dirty smeared cardboard templates in the
battered old box which holds the bodywork tools so I can cut fresh patches
for the next rusted away front lower panel or fender dogleg or windshield
panel to fender lead-seam etc.   Each time I do another patch I take a few
photos...  just so I can go back later to see if I screwed anything up
should the work fail and come back to haunt me somehow.    Of course, most
of the junk I try to fix is my own or personal friends stuff so if it fails
to hold up the list to blame is short.

...I've also used up almost all of my nifty patch panel sheet metal
(hot-spray galvanized on one side, raw steel on the other) and have no idea
where to get more,  what I have was given to me by a friend and he doesn't
have any more and his source for the stuff has since moved away.

Oh well... I'll make do with what I can get, I guess.

tony..     another tech session tomorrow evening