<VV> Re: Ignition Upgrades

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:26:01 -0400

Smitty says:  I know this will come as a complete shock to some, but I do
not have an MSD to spark my plugs a lot on each power stroke.  I find
that once the fire is lit it stays lit and as far as I know may still be
burning when the exhaust valve opens to let it out.  I know the manifolds
get real hot.  I do not have an electronic points substitute.  I have the
real thing.  Little mechanical buggers that open and close flawlessly
millions of times on a trip and still starting spark activity next time I
need them.  I find that they are a tremendous drain on my free time.
Every month or so I have to spend 5 minutes to make sure they are
adjusted properly.  The expense is rather awsome too.  One time just for
kicks I used a set for 100 thousand miles.  Had to change them cause the
rubbing block was gone.  Generally speaking though I find that they do
real well for 3 or 4 years.  I do not carry a spare set with me when I
leave the house.  Every FLAPS in the country has a set to sell me.  I did
put a High Output coil on because under high boost conditions the fire is
hard to light.  I do not have a capacitive discharge system (unless
that's what you call it when the condenser in the distributor does it's
thing.  Also put a set of S***s wires on for the same reason.  Got tired
of the juice escaping to ground.  Darn plugs are an awful expense too.
Those 67 cents (on sale) ones make a spark that starts a fire and do it
for thousands of miles with modern gasoline.  If I want to go fast I can
and do.  My rev limiter is set at 6200 and I can hit it any time I want.
I will do anything I must to make sure I get the performance I want and
not one more blessed thing.