<VV> Re: Oil Pressure Switch

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:52:52 -0400

> From: "Roger Gault" <r.gault@sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: <VV> Oil pressure switch

 At the risk of starting a storm, I'll suggest that you don't change
> it out. I've had considerable trouble with new switches and only one
failure
> of an "experienced" one.
-----------------smit-------------
Smitty says:  No problem with your suggestion or experience Roger.  I
want to throw something else into the mix though.  I wrote an article for
our newsletter a while back concerning idiot lights.  One point I made
was that just cause you climb in the car,turn the key, and the light
comes on, then goes out when the engine starts, does not mean your switch
is good.  Try it the other way.  Have the engine running and shut the key
off.  Immediately as soon as it stops, turn it back on again.  Did the
light come on or did you have to wait a while?  That "while" is exactly
how long your engine will be starving for oil before the light warns you.
 I have found switches that took over 40 seconds to put the light on.