<VV> 5 lug conversion??

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:51:07 -0700

At 12:13 hours 07/08/2004 -0700, Lecktrix Electrical wrote:
>Can I convert my 63 to 5 lug without machining axles/rotors??

Yes and no...      You can adapt FC rear axles to an early model Vair,
cut/respline for car yokes and swap backing plates etc for the bigger
brakes along with the 5 lug pattern.     Or, you can drill the existing
early axle flange for the 5 lug pattern.    You only actually have to drill
4 extra holes, leave one stud in the axle.    The drum will also have to be
drilled.    This doesn't address the brake issues which will result when
you bolt on a late Vair front suspension with its accompanying big brakes
while working with the stock early back brakes.    I've seen most people
doing the 5 lug trick use the cut/resplined FC axles and backing
plates/drums.

>Will late model
>suspension bolt up??

The front suspension is an easy swap, bolts right in.   The rear
suspensions do *not* interchange at all, requires a lot of work  and I mean
a LOT of work to adapt a late rear suspension to an early...  but the
rewards would be worthy of the effort IMHO.

tony..