<VV> Simple Lubrication Question

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:44:37 -0400

Audible squeaks in the clutch linkage arise often (more frequently) from
points under the car, particularly the ends of the two levers on the cross
shaft where the cable clevises attach. If you're sure it's under the dash,
there are five points asking for your attention, of which two are pretty
easy and the other three, I'd suggest attacking after having tried the first
two.
     The first two are where the cable attaches to the pedal, and the first
pulley, located about 4 inches directly forward of this point, on the toe
pan. I'd suggest you go at these with a flashlight (which will have no
effect in itself) and a can of spray lithium grease with its red (why are
they always red?) tube attached for accuracy. Blast the clevis and the axis
of the pulley. Go ahead and spray the groove of the pulley, too - this
seldom squeaks, but should be lubricated to reduce friction (see your Shop
Manual).
     If this doesn't get it, there are two pulleys on the centerline, but
you'll have to take off the toe-pan tunnel on the centerline to get at them.
They're otherwise just like the one you already lubricated.
     If this doesn't get it, you're ready to address the bushings of the
pedal shaft itself (one on each end of the shaft). I don't know of any
positive way to get at these bushings in situ - I remove the shaft, replace
the bushings, and lubricate that.
     Rainwater quickly washes the lubricant out of the aforementioned two
points on the cross shaft under the car, so my clutch often squeaks after a
rainstorm despite all the machinations described above.
     What's your last name, John B? Ever own a sloop?

Joe Potts (old geezer, too)
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C