<VV> RE: Anybody noticed more interest in vairs

M & M Sweaney monza17@cox.net
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:14:03 -0500

Hello all
I just got back and noticed this post in VV #708.
Earlier this year my wife and I went to the big deal automobile museum in
Reno Nevada.  Wile taking the tour the tour guide got to the early and late
model Corvairs on display there and asked if anybody knew what a Corvair
was.  My wife and I raised our hands along with one other guy.  He then
asked us some questions and we gave a little tech session there for a minute
or two.  Then he told us that over the past few years Ford Mustangs were the
"gotta have one" cars to buy or restore.  Now Mustangs have reached a
saturation point meaning that everyone who wanted one.....has one.  He then
asked if we knew what the new "gotta have one" cars and said that they track
these sort of things.  According to Mike the tour guide the number 1 car is
the mid '60's VW, number 2 is the Chevrolet Corvair.
The tour broke up then and while standing and looking at the Corvairs some
guy who was not in the tour came up with what was probably his wife.  He
pointed at the late model and said to her "That's the car that Chevy screwed
up.  They should have put a water cooled front engine and rear drive in it.
They took a pretty car and screwed it up.  This is just a stupid car."  This
guy was in his late 50's or early 60's and we have all met this guy at one
time or another.
Take care all,  Mike