<VV> Brake material thickness

seoxford@att.net seoxford@att.net
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 03:56:40 +0000

"How thick should the brake pads be? I have to push the peddle harder to make the car start to stop.  Not unsafe feeling, but figured it is a good time to check things out..."

Chris - EM factory min spec is 0.160 inches minimum thickness, though with today's shoe material, that thickness will not last long.  I've forgotten what you're driving, but assuming it's a '63 or later, the automatic adjusters should be keeping the brakes reasonably well adjusted, as long as you make enough stops in reverse.

You could have a small leak in a hose, connection, or wheel cylinder boots.  Are you losing any brake fluid?  If you're losing some fluid, then you should be able to find the leak reasonably easy, though you may have to pull the drums.

If you're not losing any fluid, then you could try bleeding the brakes again - and while you are at each wheel, check the operation of the automatic adjuster and manually readjust each brake.

That's the extent of my ideas - especially since you really are not experiencing any other braking problems other than a "soft" pedal.

Good luck!  I don't think it will take too much work to get a firm brake pedal back.

Steve Oxford/'63 conv.