<VV> Brake material thickness

LonzoVair@aol.com LonzoVair@aol.com
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:07:40 EDT

In a message dated 7/10/2004 5:09:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tonyu@roava.net writes:

I've reclaimed fluid-contaminated brake shoes by giving them a good soaking
in Purple Clean for a couple of days and then leaving them out in the rain
(during the monsoons) for a week or so, followed by another week in the
summer sun interspersed with episodes of more rain and sun etc.

Atta boy Tony! I think it was about 7 years ago I told you guys about my
Grandfather, a gearhead from way back, and how I remember him "reclaiming" soaked
brake shoes when I was just a kid... Grandpa did all his own work to his cars,
and when I was little (YES, at one time, I WAS LITTLE), maybe about 6 or 7, I
remember Grandpa replacing the wheel cylinders on his '57 Golden Hawk (WAY
COOL CAR!), and when he removed his brake shoes he dropped them in a bucket of
kerosene... when he finished installing the new WCs he fished the shoes out of
the bucket, set them on the driveway, and lit them up... we went inside for
lunch and when we came back outside he made sure they were cool and put them
back on...
Grandpa KNEW how to stretch a dollar, as he'd supported a wife and 2 kids,
and also sent money to his parents and young brothers & sisters, all through the
great depression. I have a picture somewhere taken in the very early 1930s of
Grandpa and the car he'd gotten for his Dad, a Ford T sedan with "TAXPAYER'S
TAXI" painted across the little visor at the top of the windshield... He
didn't care for President Hoover very much...
:-)
I don't think this trick would work with bonded shoes, only riveted ones...
One more thing, Grandpa never had a Corvair... he was 62 when they first came
out in late '59... he DID have several motorcycles, going all the way back to
WW1.... so *maybe* the art of air cooled engines wasn't totally lost on him.
Later
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier pg, daily driver
1963 Greenbrier 4spd... now safe in White Mills
1964 700 sedan 95/pg