<VV> Why #5 Throws Valve Seats, was Fresh Air Vent

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:54:09 -0400

I'd like to offer an alternative theory as to why cylinder #5 so frequently
throws the big (on 140s) valve seat.
     The theory relies on the observation that it is about equally common
for #2 to throw a valve seat.
     The cylinders on the Corvair are staggered from one bank to the other.
#5 and #2 are the "extreme" cylinders, in that they are farthest from the
blower. Go look at yours, and you'll see what I mean. I believe these two
cylinders are thermally stressed more than the other cylinders because of
this. Or, more specifically, I mean those ends of the heads. The opposite
end of each head is substantially closer to the blower, and valve seats
throw less frequently on the less-extreme cylinders #1 and #6.
     Partly because I never need heat in the passenger compartment here in
South Florida, I keep my fresh-air output blocked and an intact hose
attached to it and to the heater box.
     What's your name, OpenHabit?

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA