<VV> Re: Brake Lining Thickness

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 19:13:01 EDT

In a message dated 7/11/04 11:06:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
vairologist@juno.com writes:

<< I just walked out to the garage and measured
 the lining on a new set of "arced" shoes which measured .215.  How we go
 about getting the drum on is not under discussion here.  Was not the .168
 someone quoted from the manual a minimum recommendation and not a new
 dimension?
         If I am all wrong then don't bother to tell me about it.  I'm
 sure my wife will tell me that before the day is out. >>

Aw Smitty, It is my pleasure to inform you that the 1961 shop manual
specifications (knowing that you prefer earlies!) says on page 12-4 that the brake
lining thickness is 0.160 inches. Can't argue with Chevrolet. That would be a
maximum (not minimum) thickness for those of you in Rio-Linda.

Also just to make the LM people happy, the '65 SM specs are 0.17 in for the
pri shoe and 0.20 in for the secs. Minimum thickness is 0.030 inches.

Regards,
Bob Helt