<VV> Re: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #728 - 11 msgs

djtcz@comcast.net djtcz@comcast.net
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:24:44 +0000

>snip< ..what happens in a situation like this if one just puts the
> engine together and runs it? I can readily imagine (someone as stupid as me) doing this, hoping it will just "wear in," the way one is supposed to do  with shoes that ALMOST fit right. An example from a Corvair might be my  newly rebushed transmission-linkage tube. When I put it together, it seemed  intolerably tight........... > If I ever do rebuild an engine, I see a fair chance I'll be faced with  this choice, and I'd like to hear from anyone > who has enough guts to admit  he has tried this.

I think the cause and severity of the rub both really need to be identified, unless someone simply does not care if the engine suffers immense damage after a few hours of service . If the crankshaft and block end up being "in spec" then I would not be afraid to run it.  If it ends up being some bunged up gear teeth I would deburr the edges and run it.
Crankshafts make more than 3000 revs every mile the Corvair drives, with side loads 6000 lbs possible.  The shifter tube might make a few 1 inch trips every now and then. If you shifted like crazy for 10 minutes I doubt the tight shift tube would be even hot to the touch.  But the potential for thermal run away and seizure if the crankshaft bearings have real problems is pretty good.