<VV> Re:ENGINE REBUILD(bearing fit etc)

N2VZD@aol.com N2VZD@aol.com
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:25:43 EDT

i am not a pro shop. i have assembled many engines over the years and have
not had one blow yet that i know about due to aasembly problems.  i take my
crankshafts to a good shop and tell them if they cant do it 010 or less ill bring
them another.  if he sets it up right you should be able to put the bearings
in a cleaned case and set the crank and cam in and turn them with very slight
drag with assembly lube on all moving surfaces period!.i have checked with pg
at times but find it ok all the time. if i had to beat on the cases  i want to
know whats binding before going any further.  it should turn smooth , no
lumpys. i made a tool to turn the crank over by hand from an old junk early crank
pulley. if i cant turn it before installing rods i find out why.  may not be
right or neccessary but its never bit me yet. i made a table for putting engines
together. it is a fold up about 24in by 6 ft with holes drilled in it to set
the studs thru. that way i can lay the block flat to set the crank and cam in
it without worry about "fallout".  i just used harbor freight legs on plywood
with 2x4 runners underneath to add strength.  in fact i have an engine on it
right now going together and 2 more waiting.  regards tim colson