<VV> Re: tight crank

kovacsmj kovacsmj@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:10:56 -0400

Joe. The issue may be that the tight spot will wear in after a few
thousand rpm, but there is the chance that the journal and bearing will
heat up and start to swell, therefore making the fit even tighter. This
seems to indicate that a bearing and journal touch.

 This could lead to a bearing failure. The journal and bearing are
supposed to ride on a very thin film of lubricant and not touch. The few
other engines I built allowed the crank shaft while alone in the
crankcase to rotate with virtually no effort through 360 degrees.

Getting all the information is most of the solution.

MIKE KOVACS

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org] On Behalf Of N. Joseph Potts
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 9:40 AM
To: djtcz@comcast.net; virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: RE: <VV> Re: tight crank

Here's an idle question from a "virgin" (one who has never split a
crankcase): what happens in a situation like this if one just puts the
engine together and runs it? I can readily imagine (someone as stupid as
me)
doing this, hoping it will just "wear in," the way one is supposed to do
with shoes that ALMOST fit right. An example from a Corvair might be my
newly rebushed transmission-linkage tube. When I put it together, it
seemed
intolerably tight. Within a week of use, it got to feeling "just right,"
and
it still does.
     If I ever do rebuild an engine, I see a fair chance I'll be faced
with
this choice, and I'd like to hear from anyone who has enough guts to
admit
he has tried this.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA