<VV> Question regarding Engine Cooling

Cepak, Tom A tom.a.cepak@lmco.com
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:07:07 -0500

Joe mentions in the paragraph below that "You DO need to have some rpms
for your engine cooling and A/C compressor".  Has anyone attempted to
install an electric fan to replace the belt driven one?  What would be
the pro's and con's?

-----Original Message-----
From: N. Joseph Potts [mailto:pottsf@msn.com]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 10:32 AM
To: Cepak, Tom A; virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: RE: <VV> 3 year quest

This resto, like any resto, will cost whatever you let it cost. In your
part of the world, I would expect $15K total budget to result in a very
desirable example that could have all of the characteristics you list,
except possibly for that horsepower number (I just don't go into
modifications like that). Now, I might have to pull my horns in a little
if you are truly NOT allowed to do any work whatsoever. But if you can
steal a little time away from the other demands on you, you can go
pretty far on $15K.
     While you might be able to find/set up a 3.08 for your Corvair, I
think the more-standard 3.27 will serve you very well for highway
driving. 3.55 was standard for the performance versions such as you are
positing. You DO need to have some rpms for your engine cooling and A/C
compressor.
     You're likely to have some trouble finding your rust-free example,
but if you do find it, your efforts WILL be rewarded well. Power train
is optional, in my opinion.
     Other questions that I may seem to be overlooking, I just don't
have solid answers for. Good luck!

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C