<VV> 63 original cost

JohnB10968@aol.com JohnB10968@aol.com
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:39:27 EDT

Interesting figures.  I purchased a new '62 Monza coupe with Powerglide (or
"powerslide" as many referred to it)  from local Chevrolet dealer using my '59
Corvette as a trade in.  Deal was even up - Corvette had some body damage that
needed fixing.  The quality of that Corvair was far superior to Corvette.
Corvettes were running fools, but assembly quality and body integrity left a lot
to be desired.  About 18 months later, someone stole the Corvair from in
front of my house.  Insurance company gave me a very fair settlement and I used it
+ $200.00 to purchase new '64 Monza with 110 HP, 4 speed, Michelin X tires
(which were just becoming popular) and positraction.  Prices on Corvairs were
already weakening as GM saw the handwriting on the wall. It was a wonderful
rally car (I was active in SCCA at time) and I won our regional championship in
it.  After 3 years, I foolishly traded it in on new Plymouth Barracuda.  What a
mistake!!!  Of all the cars I have owned, those 2 Corvairs exhibited the
highest overall assembly quality.   I suppose that was to be expected since they
were early models. (I just could not resist!!! Flame away!!!)

John Blower   '64 Monza Covertible