<VV> Corsa/Monza

WadeHalsey hihal@adelphia.net
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:10:40 -0400

NicolCS@aol.com wrote:
> Now the only
> question I will have to suffer is the inevitable "Is it a Spyder?" question...  Why
> the heck did Chevy drop the good "Spyder" name when they changed from the
> "practice" models to the "real" Corvairs?

I agree that Chevrolet should have kept the Spyder name because very few folks
know what a Corsa is but most remember the Spyder.
It is interesting that at least half of the people who want to talk about my
Corvair, ask whether it has "the Spyder motor". Of course, I patiently explain
that only turbo-charged engined early models were so equipped. On one occasion I
raised the engine lid to show my carbureted engine and learned something myself;
my questioner thought the air cleaner with its four air-cleaner tubes looked
like a spider and therefore this WAS one of the famous Spyder motors. I'm
guessing that a lot of people think the same thing and that is the reason we get
this question over and over.

Wade Halsey (full of opinions that I mostly keep to myself)