<VV> Re: suspicious fuel pump

djtcz@comcast.net djtcz@comcast.net
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:49:24 +0000

> Anil Mittal wrote:
> >
> > The car again ran great for about a week. The next time
> > this happined I noticed that I was on empty, thinking I ran out of
> > gas I put a few gallons of gas in the car and had no luck getting it
> > running. I could pump the accelerator pedal 20 times and it would run
> > for a few seconds and die, no flodding and no raw gas smell which was
> > really weird. I left the car on the side of the road and came back
> > the next morning. With a little cranking the car started up and I
> > drove it the 2 miles home. This was about a week ago and I have not
> > touched the car since. Would this indicate to me a bad fuel pump
> > which does not want to pump when it gets hot? The car does not have
> > the typical vapor lock symptoms since it dies while it is driving and
> > I did not have it "warm soak" just before. The carbs are fairly new
> > Grant rebuilds less than a year old. I also do not have a raw gas
> > smell in the oil so I don't beleve that the pump is leaking into the
> > oil. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for any help.

Before I changed the pump I'd do  fuel pressure and delivered volume tests cranking the car with a grounded coil wire.  If it tested OK Then I would make a poor man's fuel pressure gage from a spare oil pressure sender and some fittings in a modified fuel line, and put the oil light wire on it. I generally ran an oil pressure gage, but if I was nervous about driving with no oil light I'd make a pigtail so either low oil pressure or low fuel pressure would light the light.  I'd think about using an oil sender that "went off" at 1 or 2 psi instead of zero if I could find one real cheap, because gasoline ate the last oil sender I did this with.  And I'd carry tools and a 1/8 inch pipe plug to remove and block the sender if it started leaking. Oh, and I would test the vapor line by blowing in it to be sure it was not blocked.