<VV> Solid Flywheel, good or bad

Delta Inc deltainc@grm.net
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:03:16 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <BobHelt@aol.com>
> > What is the reason for the two piece
> > flywheel?  Is a solid flywheel good or bad?
**********
This is strictly anecdotal:  but :
In 1985 or so I bot a used up '66 180 rig, had the the engine completly
renew / rebuilt and used a Clarke's solid aluminum flywheel .   Upon
running, immediately noticed 3000-3600 rpm resonance humming of some
magnitude, had it 2nd-opinion assessed at Small Cars in Kansas City.  They
reported that solid flywheels were not a good idea, as per Bob Helts reports
for those reasons ( GM papers )...
The engine still has the solid flywheel, but is a mild irritance, would not
put in another ... I am waiting for something to go tear-down-wrong and then
it will be replaced.
FWIW, ken campbell, guy in Iowuh with a humming 'vair.