<VV> Solid Flywheel, good or bad (Gear Lube)

Dale Dewald dkdewald@pasty.net
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 07:35:20 -0400

At 01:50 AM 7/16/04 -0400, Scott Ham wrote:

>Also, when I put everything back together I'll have to replace the gear
>lube in the tranny and differential. What type of Lube does everyone recommend?

Hello Scott,

It has been discussed before that type GL-4 fluid is best for manual
transmission Corvairs that share lubricant with the differential.  I
stumbled across a something to consider: I found the private label "Pasts
Master" brand at my Auto Value local auto parts store; $1.89/qt.  It is
rated both GL-4, GL-5 and made by Ashland (Valvoline).  I will be using it
in my wife's '65 Monza which has the earlier design (Muncie) 4-sp
transmission.  The early transmissions typically shift well with any decent
lube but the later (Saginaw) transmission in your '66 (unless it has been
changed) tends to be harder to shift, especially when cold.  Many people
prefer using synthetic gear lube in the later transmissions for this
reason.  It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) Michigan