<VV> Tail light question

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:17:23 -0700

At 07:50 hours 07/16/2004 -0400, Retting Family wrote:
>In a 65 Monza, my left tail light/turn signal bulb is making a poor contact
>and does not illuminate.  It does not fit tight enough in the socket. Is the
>solution to replace the socket?  If so, any suggestions for how to do this
>are appreciated.  Thanks.

You can raid a junkyard and remove the zinc plated brass tail light sockets
from a late '60s Chrysler Newport (which are excellent) or you can go to
Advance or Auto Zone of NAPA etc and buy new metal replacement sockets.

The plastic sockets are marginal at best.   The metal ones never seem to
give any trouble.    Pack some high temp wheel bearing grease inside the
socket before you install the bulb so if it ever burns out it will come out
easy.

tony..