<VV> The big switch

AeroNed@aol.com AeroNed@aol.com
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:31:02 EDT

Just an update on all the Corvair wrenching going on here in Kansas...

Terry Kalp pulled the motor in his 64 convertible this afternoon while I was
at work in a comfortable office. He mentioned that leaf spring made the job
more of a challenge. By the time I made it up to the shop, Terry had already
disconnected the stuff on the top side of the engine in the silver coupe. I took
care of the stuff on the bottom. By the end of the evening, we had two engines
out of three cars. Tomorrow we'll put the engine from the silver car into the
white convertible and finish removing the drive train and rear suspension
from the silver car.

We noticed that there were some inconsistencies with my new "66" car. First
off, Terry noticed that it has the "little box" in the engine vent area. Then I
noticed that the AC line on the bottom of the car is metal. I also pointed
out the rear lower control arms were installed upside down. We checked the VIN
and it's a 66, but held in place with nonoriginal rivets. Finally we checked
the serial number on the body tag, which does have factory rivets. The 2 serials
don't match. It would appear that everything under the 66 VIN has been
replaced, interesting. I guess I have a rare double clone, a 65 cloned to a 65 and a
Monza cloned to a Corsa. All I care about is that the body is straight and
looks great!

Jim Dallas stopped by for some Corvair entertainment. He also bought a 63
convertible body from Terry. I guess we'll be doing a little swap at Jim's garage
when we finish the Big Switch.

Ned Madsen
1965/6 Corvair Monza/Corsa
CORSA Member since 2000
Mid Continent Corvair Association - President