<VV> Wheel cylinders

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:09:07 -0400

If you can get the drums on and shoe-to-drum clearance set, the rods will
assume a workable angle vis a vis the axis of the wheel cylinder bore. You
will shift the position of the shoes in order to get the drums on, although
this won't be visually obvious.
     The rods and cylinder cups have a ball and socket design because, in
use, the rods DO change their alignment very slightly as the shoes move in
and out.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Dave Hammelef
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 8:17 PM
To: vv
Subject: <VV> Wheel cylinders

Finally have the front brakes back together. Before I
put the drums on. (Just realized the spec is 80 in
lbs, for some reason 80 ft lbs was stuck in my head -
ya stuck would have been the right word).

Anyhow, The wheel cylinders are bothering me a bit
cause clearly the rods do not stick out in a straight
line from each other, and the passenger side seems to
have a severe angle. But I cant see anything that
would be moveable to adjust that. Am I missing
something, or is that just the way it and everything
will be fine, may explain why the rods have a rounded
end sitting in a big cave (would compensate for any
angle).

Thanks Dave
'64 vert