<VV> EUM Update

Hank Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 11:03:08 -0400

All
After some minor glitches, I have a new set of rod and main bearings for the
re-build on the EUM motor. As mentioned earlier, the crank wemt to the machine
shop.  was put in a jig and checked for straightness with a dial indicator.
Journals have been re-polished and mike out OK.

A slight hold-up yesterday (I gave birth to my second kidney stone early
friday AM) the rod bearings go to the machine shop Mon at lunchtime to re-size
and check the rods (already there waiting).  Next weekend we will likely put
the engine back together, put it up in there, and try again. New case halves,
main journal grooves checked per Bob Helt's instructions, cleaned VERY WELL.

Eric discussed the main journal problem with Cal Clark on Thursday. Cal states
he has never seen a block where a lip had formed on a main bearing journal. As
Eric said, if theres a one in a million problem, he's the one to get it.
Could metal fatigue be a problem here??? Are the block halves that were
originally engineered to last 10 years shot after 40-45 years??  Or did I just
get lucky <G>

Regards
HANK