<VV> WTBRT autocross report

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr@mindspring.com
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 01:03:24 -0400

Whew, even in a nice 93 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, a 460 mile round trip
and a SCCA autocross is a bit much. Scott mentioned we should try
to run ole #112 at South Carolina region SCCA' s autocross this
last Saturday (yesterday). The event took place in the huge parking area
which is adjacent to the USC football stadium and across the street from
the State Farmers Market in the downtown area of Columbia, SC. Scott has
moved just across the GA/SC state line at Augusta, GA and he is only about
70 or so miles from Columbia. He had #112 at his new house and tow dollied
her to Columbia.
      I had to travel 220 miles from Atlanta and arrive before 10:15 am to
register.
There were over 90 drivers for a non-point SCCA solo2  autocross. As usual we
ran in ESP against 8 other drivers. Our car ran very well and we were
competitive
and finished 4th and 5th as drivers in our group.
      FTD was a blistering 46.9 set by a Honda civic in class EP. The next
fastest time
was 48.09 also by a civic. Our best recorded times were 54.4 by Scott and 57+
by me. However, in fun runs, Scott turned in an outstanding 51+ which would
have
placed him 3rd trophy in our class. The course was very demanding for us as it
greatly favored the FWD short wheel base cars and we were very pleased at how
we were able to "push" our 108"wb rear engine car through the course. We
received
a number of positive comments and as usual quite a bit of talk about that
old car.
All in all a very fun day and old #112 has now run 130+ timed autocross
runs. She
is an amazingly tough old girl. Scott and I learn more and more about
driving a Corvair
each time we compete.
      Today we begin a rebuild of the front and rear suspension.
Until now we have been running with old strut rods, old trailing arm
bushings, old
upper and lower control arm bushings and old lower ball joints. If you saw
us run at
Lexington you probably noticed how much the car leaned when cornering. That
will
soon be corrected and we will be even more competitive. I can't wait.

Chuck Armer

Corvair Atlanta, BOD
CORSA MEMBER
CORSA Tri-Membership Chairman