<VV> VairFetchAgain...third try from different account.

Olia Onyshko-Hartzler olia@verizon.net
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:31:14 -0400

Third try...from my wife's account.please respond to DHartzler@ifc.org
-------------------
Second try...seems to have gone out without the text.  Odd...in any
case...
-----Forwarded by Darrin Hartzler/FO/IFC on 07/18/2004 12:55PM -----

To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
From: Darrin Hartzler/FO/IFC
Date: 07/17/2004 11:44PM
Subject: Vair Fetch 2004 (long...some good natured jabs at
VV...delightful really)

Thanks to everyone for the good advice about how to safely (at least
most suggestions seemed safe) tow an engineless Corvair with no regrets
in the morning.  Well, today I went to collect my new car with a U-Haul
Dolly.  The good folks at U-Haul (one of whom was literally being
arrested while I was there) were kind enough to make the decision for me
on the dolly/trailer question as they blew it on the trailer I ordered
and only had dollys.  BTW, if you ever want to rent a dolly from U-Haul,
do not tell them you are going to tow a Corvair as they will not rent to
you...they mumble something about safety.  Fortunately, I called them
first, learned this fact, and when I went to pick it up said I was
towing a Mopar...wait...what I said was Camaro...but whenever I think
about VV for some reason Mopar comes to mind...but I digress...I told
them I was towing a Camaro and they released me with a horrifically
clanging U-Haul dolly.  Ended up towing the car backwards with
trans/t-axle installed, the vert window unzipped and the windows open -
no problems at all.

On my way to Philadelphia from Bethesda (Maryland, USA, Planet Earth,
2004)...on my way to get this car with the clanging (and now bouncing)
tow dolly, I stopped in Frederick (Maryland, etc.) and picked up Bill
Elliot.  Bill agreed to join me for an entire Saturday picking up this
car.  We had to hang the transmission/transaxle in the car to safely tow
it.  Quick ride up and an hour or so to hang the trans and some time to
load the loot and we were off in a little under two hours.  Much faster
than I would have been able to do alone...or with my trusty lawyer who
had agreed to come, but doesn't know anything about cars and did not
want to get up early and thus bailed out on the trip.

Maybe some of you know Bill well and take his donation of an entire
Saturday (nice one at that) as a matter of course, but the fact is, Bill
had never met me before and he only knew me via e-mail because
Chuck(ster) had butted in (thanks Chuck) and put out a call to give me a
hand.  (Chuck[ster]'s explanation of this action literally included the
expression "yadda yadda yadda".)

In any case, thank you Bill.  I had fun.

Of course, you may assume that I already thanked Bill, and you would be
right.  In fact, I am writing this to all of you to say that I am happy
to be back in Corvairs (or under them at least) and back in Corsa (I am
from a Corvair family but have been away).

But even more so, I want to say Bill Elliot is a damn nice guy and
really helped me out.  There.

The car?

The car is a 66 Monza convertible with bright yellow paint (50 yard
quality but with a tone that you can spot from the air if you fly into
D.C. National airport [Washington, D.C., etc.]) and white (decent
condition) top and has ~45k original miles.  The car has a factory power
top, deluxe seatbelts, bumper guards, 140PG (in pieces but complete...in
fact, the PO could not tell me any specifics about why it was running
poorly and he pulled it apart...but that is good for me, because he did
not feel like putting it back together...but I digress again) and has
tinted glass all around.  It also has VG tires on nice slotted rims,
tele-wheel and headrests on the buckets.  The interior is in good driver
condition and the body is sound with the usual quarter rust.  Needs
floor patches on the driver and pass sides, but is mostly solid.  The
previous-previous owner had done alot of work on the car and the brake
lines are almost entirely new.  A small hole in the trunk repaired and
the entire trunk is re-painted, most of the bottom of the car cleaned up
and repainted as well.  Along with very good tires, the seller threw in
3 spare 140 heads, original and spare PG and differentials with lots of
sheet metal, gaskets, etc.

Pretty good deal too.

If you want to see the car,
here it is---> http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?
<http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=702385807103>
&collid=702385807103

I will put a 180 turbo w/4 speed over the next few weeks as I have one
sitting around from an unsound project car.

More fun to come.

Darrin

Darrin R. Hartzler
e-mail: dhartzler@ifc.org