<VV> Thermister door

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 01:09:45 EDT

In a message dated 7/18/2004 11:57:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
louis@suffolknet.org writes:

Is it  normal on a 180 for one of the thermister doors to always be
open?   The one on the driver's side on my Corsa is always open - the
other one  only opens when the car gets hot (which is what I thought
they should both  do).  Something amiss somewhere?

Sorry to paraphrase Bill Clinton - It depends what you mean by the word
"Open". (And it's a thermostat door.) If the door is horizontal and  parallel to
the ground - The thermostat has, indeed, failed. If the door is  opened only a
little bit, say half an inch, that means you might still have  the
winter-summer door installed. That cover can have a steel arm that  entends down to push
open the door at all times. It is, essentially a stop so  the door will not
close all the way. It is normal and should be installed during  the summer. You
can remove it during the winter to allow re-circulation of  heated air into
the engine compartment. - Seth  Emerson