<VV> Early manifold gauge connection problem

Derek Archer eggman@owt.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 00:14:24 -0700

I have a '64 spyder coupe that I recently had the dash out. The
manifold pressure guage had been working fine until I replaced that
dash after replacing a dead tach. (I have three dead spyder tachs now.
Does anyone know of somewhere that can rebuild them reasonably?)
Anyway, I noticed that the nut and ferrule assembly on the gauge where
the hose goes was a bit beaten up, so I replaced them. Now, the hose
comes out of the gauge with VERY little effort. Also, it now is not
reading correctly. At idle it usually reads about 15 inches negative,
which is what it actually is and in full boost, runs about halfway into
the positive area. Now, it only reads about 7 inches negative at idle
and barely goes past zero when I'm into the throttle. I am very sure
that this bad hose fitting is to blame but I really don't want to take
the dash out again. Is there another way to seal the connection at the
gauge. Perhaps some modeling clay around where the hose goes into the
gauge?

Derek Archer