<VV> 4sp lube

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:04:48 -0700

At 09:44 hours 07/19/2004 -0400, chris czepyha wrote:
>I have a 4sp/110/65.  I see no place to lube the gear box.

The pre-66 4-speed gearbox has a big plug in the side of the cover, driver
side.   Fill through this hole.

However...

>I ask because its starting to be hard to get in gear.

Is the clutch dragging?   A greasy clutch oiled up by a leaky input shaft
seal will sure drag and make for hard shifting, as well as slip.    Is the
shifter worn (bushings etc)?  This can cause hard shifting/going into gear.

The gearbox has to be damned near dry before it will actually be low enough
on gear lube to cause problems since the cluster gear sits in the bottom of
the gearbox and slings whatever of lube there is in the sump all over the
place.    A single pint of gear lube will get picked up and spread over the
innards of the gearbox.    Still, make sure it's full...  doesn't hurt.

A gearbox with worn  blocking rings (sometimes called "synchronizers"
although technically they're not) will also sometimes cause hard shifting.

What happens when you put the gearbox in reverse?    Does it scratch going
into gear or slip right in?

tony..