<VV> Repair/rebuild 110 - What would you do?

ChiefTAM@aol.com ChiefTAM@aol.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:49:03 EDT

OK, most of you are familiar with the problems I had with my 49,000 69  Monza
Convertible 110hp, 4-speed in the move from Minnesota to Texas.   Briefly, on
the way down the car started missing lightly.  A teardown  revealed 2 broken
piston rings in the #4 cylinder.  I replaced these and  for good measure, put
in a new rod bearing on #4.  I drove the car three  times, for about 60 miles,
and noticed a hammering.  Teardown revealed #4  rod bearing trashed, and now
damage to a once standard relatively low mileage  crank.

I am in the process of building a new house with an 1100 sq. ft. garage  (for
room to work on Corvairs) but that garage won't be done until  December.  The
house I am living in was sold, so I am in the process of  moving to another
location.  I am going to haul the '69 over to that garage  and put it up on
jackstands and remove the engine.  The engine is the  original numbers matching
engine for the car, looked really clean inside with  very little wear, all
things standard, so no work has been done to my knowledge  in the first 49,000
miles. I definitely want to keep this engine for the  car.

So, this brings me to the question.  What would you  do?  For a little
Corvair related posting, I figured I would take  responses kind of as a survey and
post the results.  Would you pull  the engine, check everything, correct the
crank, put in new bearings and gaskets  and put it back together, or rebuild.
If rebuild, how far would you  go (keeping in mind that I plan on keeping this
car, but money is not  unlimited) what would you replace and what other things
beside parts would  you do?  I think I know the answer, but I thought it
might be fun to hear  from the learned masses before I tear into it.

Todd Miller
Dallas