<VV> Corsa/Monza

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:34:03 -0700

Wade Halsey (full of opinions that I mostly keep to myself)

Good idea since you got it wrong :-)

"they changed from the "practice" models to the "real" Corvairs?"

Should read:

They changed from the true Spyders to the Camaro wannabees.  So embarrassed
by the new car, they did not want to soil the Spyder name and hence renamed
it.  The Corsa name will never be as special as the Spyder name as it had
turbo and non-turbo engines ... a Spyder is always special, which is why
people remember them.

At 10:10 AM 7/15/2004, WadeHalsey wrote:
>NicolCS@aol.com wrote:
>>Now the only question I will have to suffer is the inevitable "Is it a
>>Spyder?" question...  Why the heck did Chevy drop the good "Spyder" name
>>when they changed from the "practice" models to the "real" Corvairs?
>
>I agree that Chevrolet should have kept the Spyder name because very few
>folks know what a Corsa is but most remember the Spyder.
>It is interesting that at least half of the people who want to talk about
>my Corvair, ask whether it has "the Spyder motor". Of course, I patiently
>explain that only turbo-charged engined early models were so equipped. On
>one occasion I raised the engine lid to show my carbureted engine and
>learned something myself; my questioner thought the air cleaner with its
>four air-cleaner tubes looked like a spider and therefore this WAS one of
>the famous Spyder motors. I'm guessing that a lot of people think the same
>thing and that is the reason we get this question over and over.
>
>Wade Halsey (full of opinions that I mostly keep to myself)

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)
(720) 339-4765          Cell

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html