<VV> funny noise -- any help?

Lauren C Mizel slmizel@juno.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:33:41 -0500

I wrote the group a couple months ago about my Corsa...and with the help
of the group decided I had a flywheel that needed to be replaced and a
harmonic balancer that slipped.  I will be replacing these (and the whole
clutch assembly) in the next month.  At the time I also asked about a
chirping noise that I thought was related (I didn't know much about
it...just sounded like a bird).  No one seemed to have much direction
with the noise...here is some more information:  it only occurs when the
car is rolling.  I don't hear it if I am at a stop.  It doesn't happen
every time I drive my car...about 50 to 60% of the time.  It no longer
sounds just like a bird chirping...it sounds like a huge hampster wheel
that is in depsperate need of oil (clangy and squeeky)...I am planning on
lifting the car on jacks and running the car to see if I can better
isolate the noise, but thought I would see if the collective wisdom of VV
could give me any further direction before I freek my wife out by
climbing under a running car on jacks.

It also looks like I will finally get to attend my first Corvair meeting
-- the Show-Me club here in St. Louis...I am looking forward to meeting
with some other enthusiasts...and I am hoping to hook up with someone
that might be willing to help a Corvair rookie mechanic drop an engine to
do a clutch job.  :)

Thanks!
Steve Mizel, St. Louis
CORSA