<VV> Interesting Temp sensor question

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:00:24 EDT

In a message dated 7/20/2004 9:59:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
FrankCB@aol.com writes:

Perhaps  they meant to say that there are 2 DIFFERENT temp snap
switches used, the  "normal" one on "regular" Corvair engines and the "hi
temp" one
used only  on Spyder turbo engines.  I believe that the LMs did it this way
for
non-Corsas and Corsas, i.e. 95 and 110 hp engines had the "low temp" ones
while 140 and 180 hp engines had the "hi temp" ones.
Frank "pupil telling teacher"  Burkhard

It is, I think a function of the thread in the head, but there could be a
difference in the temp where the switch closes as well.. All 150's, 180's  and
140's in Corsa's (Maybe in Monzas and 500, as well) used a 3/8-24 fine  thread
in the heads, so that the thermister could thread in when used with the  head
temp gauge. Both heads had the fine thread. In the non-140/150/180, proper
engineering practice (for threads into aluminum) was continued from the  earlier
 Vairs, a coarse thread was used. (Fine thread into aluminum was  not
considered proper practice - as anyone who has tried to remove a stuck  thermister
can testify. But that was the thermister they had!)  Anybody  remember where the
other fine thread into aluminum was used?  - Seth  Emerson