<VV> Carb issues

Norman C. Witte ncwitte@wittelaw.com
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:20:32 -0400

This is on the '65 Corsa 140.

I am having some problems and I haven't exhausted my options but I am
thinking that it is time to talk to the list to see what suggestions I get.
I'll tell the whole story including dumb things I have done.

I bought these rebuilt carbs at the '03 convention in Carlisle.  No, they
are not Grant's.  My bad.

Before the Convention I tore down the carbs on my Corsa.  I changed jets in
the primaries from 54s to 51s.  Left the secondaries with the 49s.  I also
drilled out the vent tubes and installed the little bent brake lines in them
that are supposed to help with cornering cutout issues.  I know I was
supposed to epoxy/JB Weld them in place, but I was running short of time, so
I went with what I had.

While the carbs were out and I had the clearance, I changed plugs from AC to
Champions.  (Just from looking I can already see that this is a much easier
job on the turbo.)

When I reinstalled the carbs, I had some problems with how the car ran.  On
start up I got a huge cloud of smoke from the left tail pipe.  It appears as
though the car is mostly running on the right bank.  My temps on the dash
gauge are low (thermister's in the left head) and using one's hand to block
the primaries causes a much bigger drop in power on the right side.  The
motor seems to run a little unevenly, like every now and then it throws in
an extra blurp.

Once the car was warmed up the massive smoke from the left bank subsided.

The first thing I did was to reinstall the old plugs.  No difference.

Ken Hand and I went through the primary on the left side at the Convention.
With him taking a quick look were were able to get the car running a little
better, but it is still not right.

When I got home, I took my timing light and clipped it on each of the plug
wires.  It appears I am getting spark all the way around.

I then tore the left secondary apart.  I epoxied the tubes, carefully
adjusted the float level, replaced the accelerator pump and the needle valve
and seat and reassembled the carb with a new gasket.  (As an aside, I
somehow put my linkage together right--I had posted previously about linkage
issues with this carb.)

No difference in how the car runs.

Last night, I did the same with the primary on the left side.  I also took
the air compressor and blew out every port I could find.  I took out the
main jet and blew out down below it; looked through the jet for blockages,
and checked everything I could visually.

This morning when I started the car I got the same nasty cloud.

My next step is to switch the primary carb from left to right to see if the
problem moves.  If that doesn't do it I will also swap secondaries.  So
finally, here are my questions:

1) If the problem moves, what is wrong with my carb?  I have exhausted my
limited knowledge.

2) If the problem doesn't move, what else could be causing this problem?

Thanks in advance.

A Perplexed Norm Witte