<VV> Installing Turbo Engine in a Monza

Darrin Hartzler dhartzler@ifc.org
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:43:24 -0400

Hello all,

I am preparing to install a '65 turbo engine and trans/transaxle into a 66
Monza convertible.  I think I have most of the mechancial questions worked
out (manual, tech guide) , but have a couple of questions for those of you
who have either made this swap or just know much more than I do about the
electrical system (pretty much all of you I am sure).

1)  Fuel return line:  I have the lines from the donor car, but think I will go with all new
lines in this case.  My question is, will I have to remove the gas tank
from the recipient car in order to access the fuel return location (where
the fuel returning re-enters the gas tank), or is this accessible with
everything in place?  Seems very tight to me and may scuttle the whole
operation if I do have to pull the tank.  Is there an alternate fuel
return route or system that anybody has rigged to address this problem?

2) Wiring harness:  Will I have to use the turbo wiring harness with the engine or can I
use the Monza (140) harness that is in the recipient car?  If so, I assume
I will have to run some additional lines to the dash for individual guages
that the Monza does not possess (thermister to gauge, etc.).  It seems
that it would be easiest to use the turbo engine harness plugged into the
Monza harness that runs through the tunnel.  Will this create any problems
that I have to address such as plug locations on the plug blocks being
used for different functions on the different harnesses, or are all the
harnesses using the same locations for similar items with additional wires
for special functions in locations which are simply unused if these items
are not needed or included?

3) Tail pipe:  Though I am far from getting to this point, I realize that when I
install the turbo exhaust, a straight pipe will not work as there is no
cut out in the rear of the car for this pipe.  Can I use a curved pipe to
get the exhaust to exit out the rear, or will the restriction of the bend
mess with turbo funtioning?  If so, can I just run the car with no tail
pipe?  Seems this would leave the exaust under and in the engine
compartment when idling.  Would this cause problems with function or
fumes?

Any advice/experience in making this swap and the necessary adjustments
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Darrin

Darrin R. Hartzler