<VV> Re: RTV vs oil and gasoline

djtcz@comcast.net djtcz@comcast.net
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:29:16 +0000

> I discovered decades ago that RTV isn't worth a tinkers damn for sealing
> against oil or gasoline or most any other petroleum based liquid. Water
> and air etc it's fine, nothing better. But it's worse than nothing for
> gas or oil.

The Blue and black RTV silicones sold as gasket sealer hold up to oil well, but like you say, fail miserably around gasoline.  The gasket product instructions mention what's acceptable.  I just looked at a tube of GE Silicone II tub sealer and it says not for use below the waterline. No mention of use as gasket sealer.