<VV> RE: perfect fit 16x7

Bryan Blackwell bryan@skiblack.com
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:24:39 -0400

A clarification - "backspacing" is not "offset".  Backspacing is the
distance from the inside edge of the rim to the hub mounting surface.
Offset is the distance from the rim centerline to the mounting surface.
  I have a graphic on my site that shows both:

http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

The one thing to be careful of when using offset is that there isn't a
real standard of what positive and negative mean.  The stock wheels are
offset in towards the center of the car 1" (or 25.4mm), which I've seen
referred to as both positive and negative.

What's interesting is that many newer cars have the wheels tucked
further in than back in the 60's and 70's, when most wheels were offset
to the outside of the car.  This is good for Corvairs, since our wheels
are meant to be inboard of the mounting surface.

--
Bryan Blackwell bryan@skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/