<VV> EM roof molding removal

Bill Hubbell Bill Hubbell" <whubbell@umich.edu
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:59:17 -0400

Follow the procedures in the book.  1964 Manual has a chart for all the
moldings which indicates the starting point and order of removal.  It is NOT
easy!.  Be aware that it is almost impossible to remove the Roof Drip
Molding Front Scalp without damaging the Rear Body Lock Pillar Scalp Molding
(RBLPSM).  The way to prevent this is to remove the RBLPSM first, but to do
so, the backlight (rear glass) must be removed.

I have found the best way is to use a hooked tool to start the movement of
the scalp for a few inches and then place a putty knife against the lower
edge of the scalp and tap with a hammer to push it out a bit more.  Next,
move to the next couple of inches and repeat procedure.  Go back to the
first section and push it out a little bit more.  Keep working on down the
line this way.  At some point you will start rotating the scalp upwards.
Eventually it will work loose.

Be prepared to damage the body paint in the process.  Take your time and do
NOT force anything, or you will bend the scalp.

I have done this successfully on three sedans.  Each time I curse "Never
Again", but it is worth it to get at the rust you find beneath the scalp,
and to permit proper cleaning and shining of the trim.

Installation is the reverse of removal, minus the tools, and is a lot
easier.

Bill Hubbell