<VV> Re 95 head on 180 turbo engine

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:05:52 -0700

At 04:56 hours 07/22/2004 -0400, Sam & Marissa Andolino wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>I would like change the post a little.  The 95 head would be used on the
>driver side so no oil drain would be used.  The question that I still have
>is will the 95 head work well with a 180 head on the same engine and still
>give good performance?  Sorry I forgot to add this to the original post, I
>now have three bad 180 heads and two are on the driver side. So if someone
>can give me a heads up (a little humor at this point] how I can get the the
>95 to work I would appreciate it

I would NOT use a 95 head on one side and the stock turbo head on the other
side unless it was some sort of pressing situation where the car HAD to be
made to run.   The two heads are quite different in how they work, enough
so that I'd expect some noticeably unusual engine operation with the two
different heads especially if you  pushed it into boost.      Frankly, I'd
look around for another 95 head and run a pair.  Don't mix and match.
Another 95 head should be much easier to find than a "genuine" 180 head and
lots cheaper to boot... even considering that the 95 head is much better
for the engine.

As far as modifying the 95 heads goes, you likely could get away with
running a pair of them on the 180 engine with no mods other than the
turbocharger oil return fitting, which I described earlier in another post.

tony..