<VV> Steering gear lube

chris czepyha thegeek2@juno.com
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:08:24 -0400

Following the suggestions in the basics book I am trying to lubricate my
steering gear.  But I can not find where to fill it from. On page 41 it
says its a square bolt.

I could not find it.  Am I trying to lubricate the wrong piece.  I am
looking at the piece in the drivers side right near the front that has
the long metal spear connected to it.  I think its the part looking at
the diagram on page 158 of Clark book.

An old time mechanic told me the castle nut for the front wheel bearings
is tight enough when the wheel just starts to feel drag.  The back off
till you can get the cotter pin in.

Usually at this point the wheel turns quietly.  Now its got a little bit
of noise to it.  Am I not lubing enough, or should I put the bolt a
little tighter.

My car has started failing its daily rolling noise test.  I get her
going, take it out of gear, turn off the radio, and cut the motor.  Then
coast 300 feet or so into my parking space.  Normally I hear normal wheel
noise, but now I hear something extra.

Thanks to all.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!